The Art of Soulful music Production
Table of Contents
TABLE OF CONTENTS (DRAFT 1)
* Defining the Soul
*Beauty in the silence
* "game on"
*What it was like owning and operating a recording studio
*What is "Quality"
* The Subjective vs The Objective - the gap & their friendly relationship
* One Fluid Motion - from electricity, to idea, to presentation
* What can be learned from "audiophiles"
* The very real magic of Acoustics / the control of ( with sound examples, history examples)
* You are NOT Original... but that's not the objective anyhow!
THE GAP & THE BRIDGE
* The Song / Production gap - The difference between a "song" & the PRESENTATION of a song
* The Process Gap - (The argument for 1 fluid process vs. 7 different processes etc. & the state of the industry)
* The industry / people gap (why song arrangements for example do not matter to people etc...)
* The entertainment / art gap (why music&art CAN be entertaining, and why it is not JUST entertainment)
* The Gap between Idea and FINISHED Product!
INSTRUMENT TUNINGS & THEIR RELEVANCE
* Finding the "sweet spot" for a vocalist
* standards / the 432Hz "magic"
* Instrument voicing
* Instrument tuning in production (sound examples)
* Tune those Drums! Why every semi-tone makes a difference! (sound example)
* What SHOULD the purpose of acoustics be in a small studio setting? Absorbing/diffusing/redirection
* What NOT to buy
* Stands, floor space & vibration / mechanical noise / interference
* Where we came from, where we are going & where we are
* NOISE!! Why "where are" directly positively or negatively affects our health
ERGONOMICS & WORK FLOW
* Making the most of a small room
* What to mount & and what to make moveable
* Dealing with a small space
* What "they" say can't be done, can be... and HAS been!
THE OVER RATED & UNDER VALUED
* Home/Consumer systems, clock radios, car stereos & appreciating the moment
* the "educated" vs. the aware
* Microphones, gear etc.
WHAT DIGITAL ACTUALLY MEANS TO A SOULFUL MUSIC PRESENTATION
* Digital is not the problem - the IMPLEMENTATION of digital is!
* Tweaks! How to tweak, what to tweak and WHY to tweak (or NOT!)
* TESTING! TESTING! TESTING! - what to listen for and how to be a good JUDGE of YOUR sound
* Making sense of and the most of cables, connections, interfacing, computers,
* Why keeping it out of the way should be the goal!
MUSIC, A TIME BASED ART
* The Black Hole
* Exponential time
* Time & Energy
ARTISTS, EXCITEMENT & ENERGY!!!
* Dream & Imagine, but remember to Become.
* Self Doubt - why your negative thoughts are no different than even the "greats" that came before you!
* Why excitement is important
* Finish Fast!
* Practicality for the sake of completion
* When to let go
* Coaching Vocal Performance
* Vocal Health
* Layers & Harmonies - why and when
* STOP yer damn singin'!
* Defining a Production (presentation)
* All of these thoughts & Ideas... WHERE DO I START?!?!
* The "feel" of a Live performace / record
* The "Feel" of a "dubbed" record
* The making of a dubbed record that feels LIVE!
* Why I consider (almost) every record I've worked on to be a "Co" production
IDEAS, WRITING & COMPOSITION IN THE STUDIO
* Less is MORE / taking AWAY has same impact as ADDING
* Capturing IN THE MOMENT
* Getting Ready!
* Choosing song tempo & deciding on whether or not to use a "click track"
* Choosing a Key (vocals, instrument voicing, mood & tonality)
* Why demos often contain a certain "magic"
* How to re-capture the "magic",... (and how to not lose it!)
* Throw paint on the canvas!
* The Excitement Begins!
* Microphone choices & placement & theory
* Objectively proper! Levels, clocking, etc
* Subjectively proper! Your taste and choices within the boundaries given
* Why recording with a clean pallett is a good idea
* Why The "Dub" Room?
* A brilliant opportunity to compose
* Working with Session players
* Do overdubs really matter?
* Time to Frame!
* Giving the listener Perspective... vantage point... not about blending or volume
* Mixing not Blending
* What reverb and delay are REALLY for
* What EQ is REALLY for
* Its a treble problem!
* Using compression to CREATE dynamics & rhythm
* Fighting the wrong battles (compressing or equing for wrong reasons)
* The difference between mixing and sound design & their inevitable relationship
DONT OVERLOOK / UNDERVALUE SOUND DESIGN
* Time to Paint!
* Everything we do as music artists is "sound design" ... why stop now?!
* A great opportunity to "demo" your mix perspective
* Blend NOW!
* Ambient sounds & Foley!
* What to chooose?
* hidden problems
* Choosing "the right" gear
* What a master should be
PUBLISHING / DISTRIBUTION
* The importance of choosing one! (Roles, at least in a particular given moment)
* Why you should do everything yourself.
* Why you should NEVER try to do everything yourself
RECORDING A PERFORMANCE
* Why details, however small, MATTER
* Why hyperfocusing on details is NOT a good thing
* Coaching & Attitude
THE ART OF MANIPULATING SOUND
* The relativity of performance and "engineering"
* Why EVERYTHING matters (still!)
* What you can control vs. what you can't
HOW ELECTRICITY AFFECTS SOUND/TONE
* Why wires, power cables, circuit breakers and wall outlets matter!
* Tweaking - ferrite beads etc.
* Balanced Power
* Voltage Stabalization
THE RACKET OF... (pretty much everything!)
* What a "Master" recording ACTUALLY is... or should be.
* What a "Studio" ACTUALLY is.
* What you DONT need to get started
* How to get the most out of cell phone recordings - minimise outsie noise, acoustics, lav mic
THEORY & RELATION
* The Light & Sound Relationship
* Capturing & Transfering Sound Through Light
* The food & music Relationship
* Why all art is THE SAME (only the medium changes)
* The acoustical vibration, noise & Peace Relationship
* The never-ending, self-sustaining, free, safe Electicity Generator (it's not solar!)
TIPS, TRICKS & TACTICS!
* The "Power Strip solution"